If you have a few or more pounds to lose, life can be no less than frustrating. Crash diets promoted by industry profiteers always purport to be the answer to your weight loss prayers, but they never deliver. What you may not know is that you can lose weight slowly but surely with some simple lifestyle changes. The following article contains easy changes you can start making now.
1. Rid your home of unhealthy foods. If it isn’t available, you can’t snack or gorge on it. Cookies, candy and whatever else floats your boat should seldom be brought into the home and only on special occasions. You don’t have to cut your favorites out of your life completely, but they should not be a part of your everyday life.
2. Stock your pantry with healthy food. Fruits, veggies, lean proteins and high-fiber foods should be on your shopping list. Ration calories by portioning things out ahead of mealtime. It’s time to start thinking about what you put in your mouth long before you do it. Staying thin and healthy takes planning.
3. If you’re really industrious, you can make your meals ahead of time. Healthy recipes can be doubled or tripled, portioned out and frozen in individual containers. If you work, take some time on the weekend to make your meals for the coming week, and it will alleviate a major burden during the workweek.
4. Eat five or six smaller meals over the course of a day. The less calories you take in at one sitting, the less chances of those calories making themselves at home on your hips. The body won’t store calories as fat if it needs them immediately for energy.
5. Get enough sleep. You’ve probably heard that before, but it can’t be stressed enough. If you’re not getting enough sleep, your body can’t function efficiently. Don’t give it a good reason to slow down your metabolism.
6. Don’t drink soda, be it sugary or diet. Both types are bad and counterproductive to a healthy lifestyle. Make water your beverage of choice.
7. Start exercising. You don’t have to start training for a marathon, but start taking walks around your neighborhood or go bicycling with your spouse. Turn off the television set and go shoot some hoops with the small fry. Just start moving, and soon it will become a way of life.
8. Don’t be in such a hurry. Unless you have medical reasons for needing to lose weight, incorporate change slowly into your lifestyle. Pushing yourself to do too much too fast is the very reason that crash diets don’t work. Gradual change is the way to go.
These tips aren’t going to make you svelte overnight. You’re not going to look in the mirror next week or the week after and think to yourself you’ve got nothing more to improve. However, in time, you will get to your goal if you just hang in there. You’ll look better, you’ll feel better and you’ll enjoy life more…all in due time.